Friday, March 11, 2011

So who is Teman?

I was reading the book of Obadiah today when I came to verse 9 of chapter 1.

"Then your mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, to the end that everyone from the mountains of Esau may be cut off from slaughter."

And I realized I had no idea who/what Teman was! So I looked it up and thought I would share my findings for anyone else who does not know who Teman is. It's crazy how much information is in the Bible! Although Teman is not a *major* topic in the Bible, we as Christians should always be striving to expand our knowledge of this holy Book. I didn't actually find much about Teman, but here's what I've got:

According to Genesis 36:11, Teman was a son of Eliphaz who was the firstborn son of Esau (Gen. 36:15). Edom was once governed by chiefs and kings (simultaneously? I dunno.) One chief was Teman (Gen. 36:15, 31, 42).


Jeremiah 49:7 says,
"Against Edom. Thus says the LORD of hosts:

'Is wisdom no more in Teman?
Has counsel perished from the prudent?
Has their wisdom vanished?'"

So it would seem that the Temanites were known for their wisdom. From Obadiah 1:9, the verse in question, it seems Teman was also known for their mighty men.


Jeremiah 49:20:
"Therefore hear the counsel of the LORD that He has taken against Edom, And His purposes that He has proposed against the inhabitants of Teman: Surely the least of the flock shall draw them out; Surely He shall make their dwelling places desolate with them."

So here we find that the Temanites were not a holy people, seeing as the Lord said they would be destroyed. (See also Amos 1:12, Ezekial 25:13, and Obadiah 1:9)


One more place the name of Teman is found is Habakkuk 3:3:

"God came from Teman,
The Holy One from Mount Paran.

His glory covered the heavens,
And the earth was full of His praise."

Habakkuk says this as he is praying.

So that's about all I found on Teman. Got anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog